You Know Just What To Do
How do you experience a “deep” relationship with God?
For many years, I have asked myself this question. I think I might have had the wrong definition of “deep.” Depth became an unattainable goal that could only be had when I really understood the Scripture intellectually or had 3+ hour daily quiet times. Even when those things happened more, I still felt unsatisfied.
We need stillness, listening, and rest before God.
- “‘Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.’ And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.” 1 Kings 19:11-12
- “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10
Out of balance.
This sweet, intimate place of connection with God is so special. We go deeper when we press into His Word and understand His mysterious truths.
However, I have recently discovered my balance scale was skewed.
Leveled the ScaleJohn 14:21-24. Jesus said, “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” John 14:21
- Jesus says, “I will . . manifest myself to him.”
- Jesus’ promise: “I will”
- Jesus’ action: “Manifest Myself”
- The recipient: “him – whoever has and keeps Jesus’ commands”
Jesus will manifest Himself to those who have and keep His commands. Manifest means “to make clear or evident to the eye or the understanding; show plainly: to prove; put beyond doubt or question.” How would Jesus do that? Well, that’s exactly what the disciples asked. “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” John 14:22
Jesus responds, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.” John 14:23.
- Jesus says, “We will come to him and make our home with him.”
- Jesus’ promise: “We will”
- Jesus’ action: “Come and make Our home”
- The recipient: “with him – whoever loves Jesus and keeps His word”
Jesus is promising to make His home with people. That’s deep!
True DepthWhoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. John 14:21
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash. Matthew 7:24-27
Notice the difference between the two houses. Both houses hear, but only one obeys what it hears. The balance of hearing and doing.
Loving obedience that leads to intimacy with God. This is the foundation built on the rock.
Jesus instructs in His last words, “Teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:20.
Here’s a summary of 7 of His primary commands:
- Love (God and people)
- Repent (and believe)
- Be Baptized (and baptize others)
- Break Bread (have communion, be in fellowship)
- Go and make disciples (that make disciples)
“You know just what to do.”
Let’s level the balance. Let’s lovingly seek God and respond in tangible obedience. We know the commands. Let’s put them into practice!
You have to know Jesus’ commands to keep them
In order to live out His commands, a person must also have them! “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them. . .” John 14:21
According to Joshua Project, 3.2 billion people live without access (unreached) to the example of how Jesus loved. Jesus commands us to do something about that:
“And Jesus came and said to them,
‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you.
And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’ ” Matthew 28:18-20
What are you waiting for?